[XeTeX] beginners trouble

Martin Henning martin at easy2design.de
Fri Nov 11 16:11:02 CET 2005

Hi,

i recently installed XeTeX with i-Installer to be able to use
cyrillic within mostly german 8859-1-style documents. So i'm using
utf-8 and just tried to XeLaTeX-typeset one of my 'old' documents.
Should it work or is my understanding of the whole system wrong? I
get many undefined control sequences etc. I've been looking for
howtos or tutorials, but could really find any. The documentation
includes some nice example of all kinds of fancy stuff, but
unfortunately it's not a great help if you are new to the system. I
understood X(La)eTeX as an addidtion to the TeX-system, meaning
everything else continues to work, just some more unicode-related
things will work additionally - wrong? :) Generally, cyrillic doesn't
seem to be a problem font-wise, i just can't figure out how to
quickly insert some russian within the normal document, which is
supposed to be german. Some kind of example-file regarding this would
be greatly apreciated!

Sorry for stupid questions, i have yet to understand what's going
on... it seems to me.

Thanks,

Martin