[XeTeX] access to composite characters

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Nov 3 10:16:53 CET 2005

On 3 Nov 2005, at 1:58 am, Ross Moore wrote:

> There *is* a way around this, ...
<snip>
>  ... if you have a font with the correct character in it, somewhere.
> The trick is to include a /ToUnicode resource for the font.
> This allows you to associate the correct Unicode code-point to the
> specific font's code-point.
> Now searches within Preview *will* find occurrences of that symbol.
>
> Of course some work may be needed to construct the appropriate
> resource for your font, and to get it included within the PDF.
> I have experience at doing this with pdfTeX, but haven't tried
> yet with XeTeX.

I don't think you'll be able to do it with XeTeX at present, as
there's no mechanism for you to get a /ToUnicode resource into a PDF
generated through Quartz by xdv2pdf. (Short of post-processing the
PDF with some utility you devise, I suppose - which is how I did the
hyperref stuff, after all.)