[XeTeX] Font strangeness

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue May 24 08:47:11 CEST 2005

On 24 May 2005, at 12:41 am, Stephen Moye wrote:

> The following bit of plain TeX is used to fit some text into a given
> space. Everything works fine with every other OpenType font I have.
> There seems to be a problem with the new Adobe Garamond Premium Pro.
> For some reason that I cannot fathom the resulting text is
> considerably shorter than it should be. Any ideas?

I don't have that font, so can't attempt to reproduce whatever you're
seeing. But I have a guess: does this font have a range of optical
sizes? If so, it won't scale linearly as you might expect, because
XeTeX will pick the most appropriate face from the set for the size you
request.

You can disable this behavior by adding "/S=0" to the font name, and
then it will simply use the face named in the \font command. Or you can
use "/S=##" where ## is the desired optical size if you want to use
(even if that differs from the "at size"). Thus, \font\x="Garamond
Premier Pro/S=36" at .1pt will load whatever optical face of GPP would
be used at 36pt, but scaled to 0.1pt.

Assuming that's the cause of your problem, you could be sophisticated
and use a two-step solution: first an approximation to select a
suitable optical face, then re-measure using that size with /S=## in
order to calculate the exact scaling to use.

HTH,   JK