[XeTeX] Hoefler Text Ornaments

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri May 20 20:11:58 CEST 2005

On 20 May 2005, at 7:00 pm, Stephen Moye wrote:

> On Friday, May 20, 2005, at 01:52PM, Stephen Moye
> <stephenmoye at mac.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm using xetex, and cannot seem to access the characters in Hoefler
>> Text Ornaments
>>
>> I'm not sure what the correct \char numbers would be, but nothing I
>> do seems to work.
>>
>> Any insights would be appreciated!
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Stephen Moye
>
> Well, I rooted around a little more and found the answer:
>
> \font\orn="Hoefler Text Ornaments:color=ffdd00" at 48pt
> \centerline{\orn ^^^^f074}
>
> OK, but what is the ^^^^ notation?

That convention (first used in Omega) is to specify a 16-bit character
code by 4-digit hex number, as an extension of TeX's ^^xx notation for
an 8-bit code. ^^^^f074 is converted to the single character with code
F074 during input; you could equally well enter that character as a
literal if you have a way to type it.