[XeTeX] Tiger font fixes

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Sun May 1 18:02:13 CEST 2005

Hello!

I'm very happy to report that I've got Tiger running well on my
relatively old first revision 12" PowerBook. XeTeX is running as
nicely as before, and the new version of TeXShop is very nice. (Text
in Cocoa applications has been improved dramatically so TeXShop's
display of text in the editor and scrolling in the console is
noticeably faster.)

Furthermore, Apple's been updating some of their fonts, so we've got
a few fixes for some annoying bugs but a couple of (well, at least
one) new bugs (damn you Apple!):

  • Hoefler Text:
    - now uses sane feature strings, for those of you still not using
fontspec :)
    - now doesn't convert o/ O/ l/ L/ into their diacritic slashed
forms, thank god. Doesn't actually appear to be a way to turn this
*on*, now, so I hope no-one actually used that functionality. Much
better than the old way, however.
    - Oh no! Hoefler Text Regular (but none of its other shapes) can
no longer chose between Uppercase and Lowercase numbers. This is a
huge problem!
    - still doesn't ordinal-ise "0th" (or, by extension, "20th",
which is more annoying)

  • Didot now uses the correct AAT numbers to select old-style
numbers, so the fontspec package will access Didot's number case
correctly.

  • Cochin's ligatures now work: fi, fl, and ffl existed before but
weren't wired in the font tables (very annoying at the time!)

More bits of info as they come...

Will