[XeTeX] Multiple Master Fonts

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Mar 30 10:23:16 CEST 2005

On 29 Mar 2005, at 9:29 pm, Jonathan Nicholl wrote:

> Dear strepXeTeXperts,

:-)

> I've been trying to use Minion MM with xetex. It works to some extent.
> I can get variations along the optical axis. However, the other axes
> don't work properly. .....

The ATSUI interface to the MM axes seems to use a different scale than
you see when using Adobe MM applications; the weight and width values
are normalized so as to have a default of 1.0, apparently. If you run
Minion MM with the AAT-info.tex file from the XeTeX samples, you'll
find:

	AAT variation axes in Minion MM Roman:
	Weight
	    Range: min 0.94005 ... max 1.68938 (default: 1.0)
	Width
	    Range: min 0.76923 ... max 1.02563 (default: 1.0)
	Optical Size
	    Range: min 6.0 ... max 72.0 (default: 11.0)

So using values in the hundreds for weight and width will probably lead
to integer overflow or arithmetic "clipping" of the value somewhere
along the way, and end up "pinned" to one or other end of the range, as
you found.

HTH,