[XeTeX] Sanskrit hyphenation

Yves Codet ycodet at club-internet.fr
Sat Mar 26 18:21:59 CET 2005

Hello Jonathan.

I'm reopening an old thread about Sanskrit hyphenation. As you know
there will probably never be any Sanskrit hyphenation patterns included
in standard TeX, since Devanagari packages use preprocessors to handle
hyphenation. Thanks to Will and you, it has become very easy to write
in Sanskrit with XeTeX; the only missing thing is hyphenation.

You perhaps remember that you helped me to write the attached file
after your Hindi hyphenation patterns. I tested that "sanhyph.tex" for
some time and I didn't notice anything wrong; it should also work for
Prakrit but so far I haven't had the opportunity to test it with those
languages. Well, I presume you've guessed my request. If such patterns
were included in XeTeX and an entry added to "language.dat", users (I
suppose I wouldn't be the only one) wouldn't have to compile their own
format (and recompile it each time they update). Do you think it
possible (hoping it wouldn't be too much work)?

The following question is for Will. How could the command
"\language=\sanskrit" be included in a font selection with Fontspec?

Thanks in advance. Best wishes,

Yves