[XeTeX] height and depth of characters

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Sat Mar 26 05:32:18 CET 2005

On 26 Mar 2005, at 8:58 AM, Stephen Moye wrote:

> Xetex tells me that the depth of \box0 is 54pt. Is there any way to
> get a correct answer?

As JK will no doubt reply, the answer is unfortunately no.
XeTeX doesn't retrieve this information from ATS and places every
character in a box of constant height. The reason for this is that in
XeTeX, ATS itself places accents above characters, and this is the only
low level reason for knowing the height and depth of a single
character. Making XeTeX use the actual height/depth info would slow it
down (noticeably?) for little gain.

Having said that, sometimes it is nice to know how big characters are
so if the situation stays as it is I proposed once that an extra XeTeX
primitive could be added to measure the heights and depths of
characters on a one-off basis.