[XeTeX] Version 0.94 available

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Mar 22 16:29:17 CET 2005

On 22 Mar 2005, at 3:17 pm, Will Robertson wrote:

>> To tell XeTeX *not* to do this, you need to add the /S modifier to
>> the font name; either /S=## with the specific (optical) point size
>> you want (in which case it doesn't matter which of the siblings you
>> named initially), or /S=0 to simply use the exact face as named,
>> without considering any optical size association with other faces.
>
> I assume that doing something like "Warnock Pro:-size" doesn't work
> because this new size feature is not provided by the ICU but rather
> XeTeX itself? Just curious, as always.

Correct. It's not really a "layout feature" in the same sense as other
GSUB or GPOS features, which ICU supports. XeTeX has to handle this
before it can set up an ICU layout object with appropriate font
tables--in theory, at least, the different optical sizes could
implement entirely different sets of layout features.

That's partly why I didn't implement it as "Warnock Pro:size=##"; the
(unwritten) convention is that things following the colon are simply
passed to the specific font face (which may or may not do anything with
them), while the slash-modifiers on the font name actually cause
different physical fonts to be loaded. But users may not wish to
understand the underlying setup and the technicalities of AAT and OT
fonts; they just want things to work.

Which is why your package is such a great contribution. :-)