xelatex 0.93 and \usepackage[xetex]{graphicx}

ritchie xetex at mspaintings.com
Sat Mar 19 15:49:01 CET 2005

hi all, I found a thread a from ~feb25 that was discussing problems
with xetex and the graphicx package. I haven't seen any further mention
of it in the archives, but I believe it's still broken in the most
recent (0.93) distribution. I tried bruno's suggestion of doing a clean
install of both texlive2004 and xetex, and I got the same problem with
fresh config files. digging further, I think I've located the problem.
in /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf, xetex appends two lines at the bottom
when it installs:

% XeTeX
TEXINPUTS.xelatex =			.;$TEXMF/{xetex,tex}/{xetex,latex,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.xetex   =			.;$TEXMF/{xetex,tex}/{xetex,plain,generic,}//.

however, in texmf.local/tex, there is no 'latex' directory, though
there is a xetex and xelatex dir (among others). should that 'latex'
really read 'xelatex'? changing those two lines to:

% XeTeX
TEXINPUTS.xelatex =			.;$TEXMF/{xetex,tex}/{xetex,xelatex,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.xetex   =			.;$TEXMF/{xetex,tex}/{xetex,plain,generic,}//

and running texhash (dunno if this step is necessary) seems to fix
things up and get graphicx working again. if this has already been
fixed in some other way, could someone please point me in the right
direction? I've been struggling with this for a couple days now =)

best,
r.