[XeTeX] log files

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Mar 17 10:56:12 CET 2005

On 15 Mar 2005, at 4:23 pm, suzume at mx82.tiki.ne.jp wrote:

>> On 15 Mar 2005, at 7:25 am, suzume at mx82.tiki.ne.jp wrote:
>>
>>> It seems xetex creates log files in the ~/ directory.
>>> Is there a preference to set that to a different one ? like
>>> ~/Library/Logs/ for example ?
>>>

>> Actually, it should be creating both the output .pdf (or .xdv) file
>> and the .log file in the current directory, whatever that happens to
>> be.
>
> Sorry, I am more an OSX user than a TeX user, and I mix stuff
> sometimes...

No problem! I can see that creating all the .log files in a standard
directory could be an attractive option; I just think that if this is
done, it should be done as a consistent option for all the tex-based
typesetting engines, not as a XeTeX-specific feature.

There is an -output-directory option to the engines (I haven't actually
tested this in xetex!), but that would presumably affect both the main
typeset output *and* the log file, which isn't what you want.

So if people want to pursue this, I'd suggest raising it with the
general TeX community.