[XeTeX] doc/samples available via i-Installer

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Mon Mar 14 17:48:44 CET 2005

> On 14 Mar 2005, at 10:26 am, Adam Lindsay wrote:
>
>> I liked your initial idea of ~/Documents. It's obvious so that it can
>> be
>> found. If people want to clean it up and away (and everyone has their
>> own
>> system of organisation: I keep such documents in
>> /Users/Shared/Reference,
>> but wouldn't dream of imposing that scheme on anyone else), then it's
>> right there to be swept away.
>
> I'm inclined to agree with this, except that I think Will's preference
> of ~/Desktop may be better. (FWIW, I've seen software installers that
> dump readmes and similar things on the Desktop, whether the user wishes
> it or not. At least in this case the user is specifically choosing to
> get these optional files, and does have a mechanism to put them
> elsewhere if desired.)
>
> So for now---and I know it won't make everyone happy!---I've modified
> the i-Package so that it installs a "Documentation" and a "Samples"
> folder, both within a "XeTeX-doc" folder. And the default destination
> of XeTeX-doc is the user's desktop. At least it's obvious, and the user
> is entirely free to put it elsewhere.
>
> I could add this to the main software installer, but I'm hesitant to do
> that as I suspect that people will often want to update the software
> without getting a new copy of the (usually unchanged) docs. However, I
> will try and remember to add this stuff to the .dmg (not in an
> installer package, in this case), so that people getting XeTeX that way
> have the files readily available to put wherever they wish (or to
> ignore).

Adding it to the i-Package will give you some trouble. You can select one
install location there, not two. So if your install location is
/usr/local/teTeX, you can only give subdirs of that or full paths for
parts you want to have instaolled somewhere else. You do not know the full
path of the user installing.

If you select to install in a user's HOME and put XeTeX in a
/usr/local/teTeX full path, it will not work where people have adapted
their install location of TeX (e.g. /usr/TeX).

What you can do as a hack is ship it as part of the package and make it
part of the ocnfiguration phase. Not nice, because then the
documents/samples will have to be downloaded, irrespectively of the fact
that they will be installed.

It is better for now that it is a separate install unless you want to
install it in /usr/local/teTeX (= /Library/teTeX so the choice is not all
bad)