[XeTeX] doc/samples available via i-Installer

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Mar 9 19:00:20 CET 2005

Le 9 mars 05, à 18:16, Jonathan Kew a écrit :

> FYI, the XeTeX documentation (such as it is) and sample files can now
> be obtained via i-Installer; there's a new package in the i-Directory
> that will install them. (By default, they'll be put in the /Documents
> folder, but you can change that destination in i-Installer.)

I'm not willing to reproduce here the discussion that took place on the
OS TeX list regarding the preferred location for storage of i-Packages.
That said...

I think the /Documents directory is supposed to be reserved for Classic
applications. From
<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/
BPFileSystem/Concepts/ClassicDirectories.html>:

"Documents: Contains application-specific information. This directory
should be used only by Classic applications. Mac OS X applications
should store preferences and other application files in the appropriate
/Library directory. Users should store their documents in their home
directory."

Personnally I tend to put all ReadMe files and documentation for OS X
applications inside /Library/Documentation, namely, for XeTeX, inside
/Library/Documentation/XeTeX. From
<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/
BPFileSystem/Concepts/LibraryDirectory.html>:

"Documentation: Contains documentation files and Apple Help packages
intended for the users and administrators of the computer. (Apple Help
packages are located in the Help subdirectory.) In the local domain,
this directory contains the help packages shipped by Apple (excluding
developer documentation)."

Another possibility is also, of course, /Library/Application
Support/XeTeX. Again from
<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/
BPFileSystem/Concepts/LibraryDirectory.html>:

"Application Support: Contains application-specific data and support
files such as third-party plug-ins, helper applications, templates, and
extra resources that are used by the application but not required for
it to operate. By convention, all of these items should be put in a
subdirectory named after the application. For example, third-party
resources for the application MyApp would go in Application
Support/MyApp/. Note that required resources should go inside the
application bundle itself."

See also
<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/
BPFileSystem/Concepts/WhereToPutFiles.html>, for the definition and
concepts behind Support Files, and how subdirectories of
/Library/Application Support should be named.

For example, Apple's iWork stores additional samples, themes and image
libraries inside /Library/Application Support/iWork, and documentation
(actually the PDF files for the user manuals) inside
/Library/Documentation/Applications/iWork.

But then, of course, all these rules are primarily for GUI
applications, such that the application includes an interface for
opening these files without the user having to know where they actually
reside. Which makes the rules a bit awkward for XeTeX. Which user will
think about looking inside /Library, without being taught first to do
so?

Bruno Voisin