[XeTeX] line spacing

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Mon Mar 7 17:29:41 CET 2005

On 8 Mar 2005, at 2:08 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
> The 18,0 and 21,0 look to me like they're the numeric values of some
> font features that you've probably specified (or that fontspec has set
> by default).

Yes, that is correct. 18,0 refers to the selected variant and 21,0
refers to lowercase numbers.

> Regarding line spacing and underfull vbox messages: I would guess that
> you need to either allow some flexibility in the interline and/or
> interparagraph spacing (e.g, give \baselineskip, \lineskip, and
> \parskip some stretchability), or else tell LaTeX that you want
> \raggedbottom pages. Underfull boxes are a consequence of not enough
> flexibility in the vertical spacing, and lines that don't happen to
> exactly fill the page size.

The geometry package has an option to set the page height to an integer
number of line heights, which might help in this regard.

I haven't had a change to do any typesetting with (almost anything at
all, let alone) Zapfino, but I've been wondering for a while how you'd
be manage with the colliding ascenders/descenders in any manner
whatsoever. Sounds fun, but I fear it might be the case that a GUI
program might be easier to deal with.

What would be nice is a GUI program for setting small amounts of text
with various per-letter settings like variants and kerning which could
then output the corresponding XeTeX commands. I'll add *that* to my
list of things to do if I ever get around to learning Cocoa :)

Just some insomniac (rare for me, I assure you!) ramblings.

Will