[XeTeX] XeTeX 0.91 released

Roger Hart rhart at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Mar 4 13:56:08 CET 2005

The problem is not at all in installing the Bitstream Cyberbit font in
OS X -- that is indeed very simple.

What is much more difficult is installing Cyberbit to run with CJK
(Chinese, Japanese, and Korean) under LaTeX:

http://w3.msi.vxu.se/~pku/MacOSX_TeX/2003a/msg02936.html

CJK under LaTeX also results in various problems:

http://www.tug.org/pipermail/pdftex/2004-January/004683.html

http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/MacOSX-TeX-Digests/2004/MacOSX-
TeX_Digest_09-24-04.html

So what makes XeTeX such an important breakthrough is that now using
CJK is just as simple as it is in OS X, just installing and specifying
a font!

So if you want to use Japanese and TeX, you should use XeTeX.

Best,

Roger

On Mar 3, 2005, at 11:16 PM, suzume at mx82.tiki.ne.jp wrote:

> Roger Hart wrote:
>
>> for LaTeX, to access these characters, at least most of them.  That
>> is, the current setup is limited to the font Bitstream Cyberbit,
>> which is itself difficult to install; I don't think it
>
> I am totally new to this list and I realize my question is a little
> bit off topic but I've installed Bistream Cyberbit (ie downloaded it
> and put it in a Font folder) and I did not find it was so terribly
> difficult to do so. Is there any issue with XeTeX that makes the font
> not so easy to use ?
>
> Besides, I have been looking for ways to use TeX on OSX with Japanese
> and French (I am a translator working in those languages) and I am
> extremely glad I found XeTeX.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Jean-Christophe Helary

Roger Hart
Assistant Professor, Departments of History and Asian Studies
University of Texas at Austin

office: Room 405, Garrison Hall
office phone: 512-475-7258
department fax: 512-475-7222