[XeTeX] XeTeX 0.91 released

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Mar 3 12:29:24 CET 2005

On 3 Mar 2005, at 5:14 am, Roger Hart wrote:

> Also, one question, if I could. I don't know if it's something I
> didn't set up correctly, but I couldn't get characters in the CJK
> Unified Ideographs Ext. B to appear.  Is that a mistake on my part,
> and if not, is that easy to fix?

Oops! You're right. It's my mistake, not yours!

Actually, they would have worked if you were using UTF-16 input text
(but that may be a pain to work with from other points of view), or if
you specify them by giving their surrogate-pair representation as a
sequence of two characters using \char"XXXX or ^^^^xxxx notation. But
they won't work by default from a UTF-8 input file--which is the main
place you want them!

You can work around the problem in 0.91 if you add

	\XeTeXinputencoding "utf-8"

at the start of your file. I'll fix it properly in 0.92, but might not
do another release straight away unless something else critical comes
up (more important to update samples and documentation at this point, I
think).