[XeTeX] OpenType: script & language

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Tue Mar 1 12:20:12 CET 2005

> Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 01:12:06 +1030
> From: Will Robertson <will at guerilla.net.au>
> Subject: [XeTeX] OpenType: script & language
> To: TeX List: XeTeX <xetex at tug.org>
>
> Hello!
>
> I'm wondering about implementing the OpenType script and language
> features into fontspec. It looks a little daunting, considering the
> number of tags defined for each. (e.g.
> <http://www.microsoft.com/OpenType/OTSpec/languagetags.htm>).
>
> Do you think it would be worthwhile putting some sort of giant list
> inside fontspec correlating language and script tags with their
> real-life equivalents? (It's not so bad using keyval. I hope.)
>
> This would result in being able to say
> \fontspec[Script=Mongolian,Language=Zulu]{Code2000}, whatever that
> would happen to mean.
>
> I assume this works only for OpenType fonts and using the syntax
>    \font="Code2000:script=mong,language=ZUL ,..."
> Is this the whole story?
>
> I haven't actually worked out the difference between the two; surely
> the fact that you're using characters from a certain unicode range
> would mean that you're using a script of whichever sort...

Sorry for my ignorant question, but what would this actually mean?
Would this mean that I could select different fonts for different
languages and that a \setlanguage would automatically change the font?
Or is language just OT internal? What does setting the language
actually do?

simon

--
Simon Spiegel