[XeTeX] RTL Arabic footnotes + line numbers for critical edition

Bernd Carl mlist at gmx.de
Thu Jun 23 18:55:59 CEST 2005

Okay, this is my result I got so far.
I did get Musa Furbers files working in some way, only the babel file
was missing. Whatever, this might be working for me. Then I tried to
just use the ledmac package but it won't do. Maybe I don't understand
Xetex but inside Arabic text the footnote command corrupts the text.
In the two files I provided, Arabic I used for collation moved to the
left (it should be on the far right) and the footnotes only show latin
script, no Arabic.
All this makes me wonder if Latex is really a good choice for modern
typewriting that includes Unicode. It's only applying workarounds that
don't work.

Bernd.