[XeTeX] XeLeTeX doesn't find texmf

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Mon Jun 20 12:09:20 CEST 2005

> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 23:52:30 -0600
> From: Jonathan Kew <jonathan_kew at sil.org>
> Subject: Re: [XeTeX] XeLeTeX doesn't find texmf
> To: Unicode-based TeX for Mac OS X <xetex at tug.org>
>
> On 19 Jun 2005, at 2:18 pm, Simon Spiegel wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> my installation of XeTeX doesn't find ~\Library\texmf anymore. I
>> have everything installed with the i-installer and I'm running
>> TeXShop 2.03. I have no problems normal LaTeX, everything inside ~
>> \Library\texmf works then.
>>
>> I haven't used XeTeX for a while, so this may be related to my
>> upgrade to TeXShop 2.
>>

> Haven't noticed any replies to this, so let me have a try....
>
> Running xelatex from the Terminal command line, instead of via
> TeXShop, would be a way to test whether the TeXShop version is in
> fact causing some kind of problem. But I don't see why the TeXShop
> upgrade should affect it; seems more likely that you've also upgraded
> the TeX and/or XeTeX packages, and something in the path
> configuration has changed and is no longer working.
>
> What I'd do to try and figure it out would be to run xelatex in
> Terminal, using the -kpathsea-debug option to enable path debugging.
> For example, try:
>
>      xelatex -kpathsea-debug=1 x
>
> and you'll get an idea of where it is searching for x.tex (after
> watching it search for texmf.cnf and xelatex.fmt). Then if the
> expected directories aren't being searched, check the path settings
> in texmf.cnf and compare to the settings for regular latex, and to
> the file structure you're using in ~/Library/texmf.
>
> Another helpful tool is kpsewhich; to see all the places xelatex
> would search for x.tex, for example:
>
>      kpsewhich -progname=xelatex -show-path x.tex | perl -pe 's/:/\n/
> g;s/!!//g'
>
> Checking the output of this, and comparing to the settings in
> texmf.cnf, may give some clues as to what is wrong.
>
> JK

Thanks for your help, but I found the problem. It was my  own
stupity. With TeXShop 2.0 the way to indicate which LaTeX flavour
should be used has changed and I was still using the old one. Now
with %!TEX TS-program=xelatex everything works fine. I don't really
know what went on: when I had the old syntax, pdftex was used instead
of xetex (which makes perfect sense) but it didn't find ~/Library/
texmf . The idea that this could be related to the engine didn't come
to my mind (and frankly I still don't understand it now, since it
obvioulsy finds the directory in my other PDFLaTeX project).

thanks

simon

--
Simon Spiegel
Mutschellenstr. 97

Telephon: ++41 43 535 81 71
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

"I'm not that easy to impress. – O, a blue car." Homer Simpson