[XeTeX] fontspec v1.7

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Mon Jun 20 09:12:35 CEST 2005

Hi Will, and Jonathan,

On 20/06/2005, at 11:09 AM, Will Robertson wrote:

> On 20 Jun 2005, at 10:28 AM, Will Robertson wrote:
>

>> Here's as minimal as I have time to put together. No packages,
>> just raw LaTeX. Obviously, this doesn't encompass the scope of the
>> problem, but it should be direct enough to pinpoint the problem:
>>
>> \documentclass{article}
>> \DeclareFontFamily{U}{osx}{}
>> \DeclareFontShape{U}{osx}{m}{n}{<-> "Hoefler\space Text"}{}
>> \DeclareSymbolFont{break}{U}{osx}{m}{n}
>> \DeclareMathAccent{\dot}{\mathalpha}{break}{"5F}
>> \begin{document}
>> $\dot x$
>> \end{document}
>>
>> Actually, I suspect it's simply something along the lines that
>> Hoefler Text has no meaningful character at "5F and the request
>> for that glyph is confusing ATS, rather than a flaw in xdv2pdf.

I get no problem, with this version of XeTeX under  TeXshop 2:

This is XeTeXk, Version 3.14159-2.1-0.871 (Web2C 7.5.2)
%&-line parsing enabled.
entering extended mode

There is no dot-accent showing in the PDF, but that's to be expected.
TeX is looking for:

       \dot ->\mathaccent "745F\relax

Since  \mathaccent  is a TeX primitive, I cannot trace
this any further to see why the accent is not placed.

After upgrading to  XeTeX  0.94  I get the same output.
However, it took an awfully long time for the PDF to appear.

> One last note: maybe it's not just as simple as I suggested? Just
> grabbing the "5F char and printing it doesn't lead to disaster:
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \DeclareFontFamily{U}{osx}{}
> \DeclareFontShape{U}{osx}{m}{n}{<-> "Hoefler\space Text"}{}
> \begin{document}
> \fontencoding{U}\fontfamily{osx}\selectfont
> test\char"5F
> \end{document}

Again, no problem, but  \char"5F  now shows as the underscore character,
which is correct for a text-font.

> So there's more to it, I guess missing maths metrics and so on...

Hope this helps,

     Ross