[XeTeX] Arabic and line spacing

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Jun 3 16:44:42 CEST 2005

On 3 Jun 2005, at 3:39 pm, Musa Furber wrote:

> The line height between lines of Arabic text always a bit large. Is
> there any way to reduce this? I have tried
> \fontsize{point-size}{on-line-size}\selectfont, but it doesn't change
> anything.
>
> Any ideas?

In plain TeX terms, you need to override \lineskiplimit so as to allow
the nominal height and depth of adjacent lines to overlap slightly, as
the ascent and descent metrics of most Arabic fonts are such that
otherwise you get quite generous spacing.

Not being much of a LaTeX user, I don't know what the appropriate LaTeX
idiom would be, but I expect one of the experts here can help.