[XeTeX] XeLaTeX and jurabib

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Jun 3 10:17:09 CEST 2005

On 3 Jun 2005, at 8:53 am, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 3 juin 05 à 09:29, Bruno Voisin a écrit :
>
>> By the way, the standard XeTeX distro contains also UTF-8 versions of
>> some hyphenation files. For people with Gerben's TeX distro, these
>> files are put by the XeTeX installer inside
>> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/generic/hyphen/. These get
>> read before the files, with non UTF-8 characters, inside the teTeX
>> tree at /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/generic/hyphen/,
>> preventing the problem you report.
>
> Re-reading this message, I'm realizing the choice of the directory
> where XeTeX puts its UTF-8 hyphenation files might be problematic:
> because it's inside texmf.local/tex/generic/, the UTF-8 hyphenation
> files get read before the standard non-UTF-8 hyphenation files inside
> texmf.tex/tex/generic/, whatever the engine, and this might cause
> problems with other engines (pdfTeX, TeX).

It shouldn't be a problem, because the versions shipped with XeTeX were
designed to be portable; they test whether the engine is xetex, and if
not, the old non-Unicode definitions will apply. The actual files are
readable as ASCII. (That's the primary issue with the "standard" files:
some use non-ASCII 8-bit characters. This can be avoided by use of the
^^xx convention, for example.)

(Of course, it's possible that something about them will turn out to be
broken... but no problems have been reported so far, AFAIK.)