[XeTeX] Fwd: [OS X TeX] Fwd: [pdftex] using OpenType fonts in LaTeX

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Tue Jul 26 12:29:23 CEST 2005

Bruno Voisin wrote:
> This mainly for Will, of fontspec fame: would it be of interest  trying
> to coordinate this development with the OpenType access in  fontspec,
> rather than having two separate implementations coming up?

Hi Bruno,

Thanks for the tip. I'm in the dark a little since unsubscribing from
most of the TeX lists.

There is no reason that I couldn't add a bunch of commands to fontspec
to mimic his package for things like uppercase/lowercase numbers and so
on, and it wouldn't be too hard to add in support for defining more
weights for light/semibold etc. to tie in properly with the NFSS.

For the former case, however, fontspec and his package "myfss" behave in
slightly different ways; ultimately fontspec is more flexible but his
method is probably a bit less of a hack on top of NFSS.

What he's done is actually very similar to how I started implementing
support for rich fonts in XeLaTeX, but he's had the patience to go
through and enumerate many many more options than I did at the time.

I'll keep an eye on this package to see if it actually goes anywhere,
but in the meantime there's not too much overlap between our packages. I
might wait until there's a stable package that's (a) on CTAN, (b) in DTX
format (shows the author is dedicated :), and (c) is an actual new font
selection scheme, rather than a hack on top of the NFSS (hacking the
existing being much easier than writing anew).

Cheers!

Will