[XeTeX] Segmentation fault

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Jul 25 19:01:25 CEST 2005

Le 25 juil. 05 à 18:07, Malcolm Ross a écrit :

> As the TeXShop console transcript below shows, when I run XeTeX, I
> get the error message 'segmentation fault'. This occurs whichever
> file I run XeTeX on. There is a pause, always at the same point,
> then the error message appears and nothing further happens. This
> didn't happen yesterday, nor ever before, and I cannot think of
> anything I have done which would have occassioned this behaviour. I
> have reinstalled XeTeX with i-Installer -- to no avail. This does
> not happen with PDFTeX.
>
> A Google search tells me that a segmentation error is a Unix error
> that 'occurs when a program attempts to access a memory location
> that it is not allowed to access'. I understand the words
> superficially, but they don't help me. However, my copy of
> Microsoft Word 2004 has refused to work since yesterday (quits
> immediately after starting up), and I am wondering if the two
> events are connected.

At the instant the segmentation fault occurs, or Word fails to start
up, is there any special output written to log files such as:

/Library/Logs/Console/501/console.log
/private/var/log/system.log

The easiest way to access these files is through /Applications/
Utilities/Console.app, clicking on the Logs button in the toolbar and
picking up the file name in the list that appears on the left.

Bruno Voisin