[XeTeX] Strange hyphenation

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sun Jul 10 20:28:44 CEST 2005

On 10 Jul 2005, at 7:07 pm, Musa Furber wrote:

> I see. I thought that even in XeTeX that the Unicode characters
> would disable the hyphenation.

No--they're just letters, after all. You could make them disable
hyphenation by changing their \catcode or \lccode values, but that
goes rather against the spirit of Unicode, where all the letters of
all the world's scripts should be equal "first-class citizens" in
text processing.

> I will have to look into the \hyphenation exceptions option and
> begin making a list. Throwing \makebox{...} all over the place
> doesn't look nice.

Indeed it doesn't.

(Actually, it seems to me that "Al-lāh" is actually a very reasonable
hyphenation. But depending on the situation, you might prefer to
avoid it.)