[XeTeX] File name problem

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Jul 4 11:00:19 CEST 2005

Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Jul 3, 2005, at 6:09 PM, Stephen Moye wrote:

>> Does XeTeX not like spaces in a file name?
>>
>> Puzzled. Thanks in advance for any insights.
>>
>> Stephen Moye
>>

> Howdy,
>
> You've hit the nail on the head. Traditional command line programs  (and
> TeX, etc., falls into that category) worked on OS's that didn't  allow
> spaces in file names and it is a hangover from those days.

web2c variant now permit "name with spaces" (although in my opinion having
spaces in filenames is asking for troubles anyway; each progrma in the workflow
has to handle it and since one does not pass names around as objects each app
has to do some trickery; the same is true for special chars)

a next version of pdftex will provide \ptexopenin|openout|input which accepts
{filenames like this}; actually there will be a whole bunch of rather generic
features that make sense for xetex (conversion, regexp parsing, random
generator, etc)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE