[XeTeX] Arabic prose

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Jul 1 21:09:18 CEST 2005

On 1 Jul 2005, at 7:11 pm, Bernd wrote:

> I have 1.5 GB of Ram, iMac 2GHz, and xdv2pdf seems to be the
> process that takes so long.
> I tried to delete my TexShop.plist in case it has something to do
> with TeXShop but it didn't change anything. Typesetting more
> complex documents take up to 2 minutes.
> Other non-XeteX documents typeset fine, no delays.
> Is there some configuration file of Xetex that might be corrupted?

No, I don't think so.... my guess is that it has something to do with
Spotlight indexing, as this issues seems to be new in Tiger, but I
don't have a definite answer for it.

(To confirm that it's not anything to do with TeXShop, you could try
processing the same documents using xetex from the conmmand line. I
think you'll see the same delay.)

It would be interesting to try restarting OS X, and see if the
behavior is the same with a freshly booted system. I just restarted
my PowerBook, as it happens, and the ArabJustify example seems to
typeset noticeable faster than previously. Timing from Terminal:

> Kew-PowerBookG4:~/Desktop jonathan$ time xetex ArabJustify
> This is XeTeX, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.94 (Web2C 7.5.3)
> entering extended mode
> (./ArabJustify.tex [1] )
> Output written on ArabJustify.pdf (1 page).
> Transcript written on ArabJustify.log.
>
> real    0m1.182s
> user    0m0.558s
> sys     0m0.257s
> Kew-PowerBookG4:~/Desktop jonathan$

If anyone who is experiencing this slow-down knows how to use
performance tools such as Shark to monitor what's happening, perhaps
we can isolate the cause....

JK