[XeTeX] Arabic prose

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Jul 1 17:57:31 CEST 2005

On 1 Jul 2005, at 4:45 pm, Musa Furber wrote:

> On Jul 1, 2005, at 5:23 PM, Bernd wrote:
>

>> Sorry, not prose, I meant poetry.
>> I'm trying to make one of Abu Nuwas' poems look like a poem.
>>

> Did you one of Peter Wilson's various packages? memoir does itself
> does verse.
>
> The ArabTeX package includes code for doing poetry; perhaps you
> could just adapt it for XeLaTeX.
>
> My guess, though, is that you might have some difficulty getting
> automatic inter-letter stretching so that all lines end up being
> the same length. Mellel does this. I'm not sure what they use to do
> it; perhaps the ARABIC TATWEEL or a shorter version of it. Hey,
> this sounds like a fun macro for someone [else] to write. :-)

This can be done automatically if you're using an AAT font that
includes a justification table, as some of Apple's do. Try this
(using some random text I grabbed from a web page)....

% - - - - ArabJustify.tex - - - -
% (process this with plain XeTeX)
\TeXXeTstate=1
\nopagenumbers
\hsize=4in
\font\arab="Al Bayan Plain" at 16pt \arab
\baselineskip=24pt
\parindent=0pt
\parfillskip=0pt
\hbadness=10000