[XeTeX] Missing characters

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Jan 19 17:07:51 CET 2005

On 19 Jan 2005, at 2:18 pm, Sebastian Hanigk wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I hope this isn't one of the FAQs (at least I haven't found it via
> Google ...): when I try to typeset documents that contain Unicode
> characters, e.g. German umlauts, all I get from xetex is a "Missing
> character:" error in the respective log file:
> [log output snipped]
> Missing character: There is no ä in font cmr10!
> Missing character: There is no ö in font cmr10!
> Missing character: There is no ü in font cmr10!
> Missing character: There is no Ä in font cmr10!
> Missing character: There is no Ö in font cmr10!
> Missing character: There is no Ü in font cmr10!

There are no such characters in cmr10 (or any of the CM fonts). The CM
fonts contain only 128 glyphs, primarily (but not entirely) encoded
according to ASCII. If you're using Computer Modern, you'd still need
to use traditional TeX or LaTeX conventions to get accented characters,
etc. (and there's no benefit in using XeTeX rather than standard
pdfTeX!).

If you use Unicode-compliant OS X fonts, then such characters should
work fine.

Jonathan