[XeTeX] Minor problem with kerning in Ezra SIL (Hebrew)

Robert Voogdgeert rvoogdgeert at kabelfoon.nl
Tue Jan 18 21:57:55 CET 2005

> Note that these two sequences are defined to be canonically equivalent
> (according to the Unicode standard), and therefore should be
completely
> interchangeable; however, Ezra SIL will only render the second version
> properly.
Jonathan,

Thanks for your response. I use to copy and past Hebrew texts from
Accordance, so I wasn't aware of the order. Also, I never read the FAQ,
which appearantly I should have... By the way, I found out that the same
problem holds for any other vowel sign or cantilation mark in
combination with dagesh, e.g. consonant > chireq > sheva > munach should
be changed in consonant > sheva > chireq > munach.

To my surprise, whatever order is used in TextEdit, they both give the
wrong kerning, as against XeTeX, that indeed give the correct kerning if
the dagesh immediately follows the consonant.

I will try and see whether I can get things right with find/replace in
BBEdit, though this will be quite a delicate process, because there are
many possible combinations with dagesh.

Regards,
Robert.