[XeTeX] XeLaTeX + Beamer

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Jan 11 13:17:56 CET 2005

Le 11 janv. 05, ¨¤ 11:38, Pavel Stra¨¾¨¢k a ¨¦crit :

> I have tried to use XeLaTeX with "beamer" to create some pretty
> presentation.
> It basically works, I can set the font with 'fontspec' etc.
> Unfortunatelly all objects filled with colour gradients and objects
> with soft shadows disappear. Also the graphics (e.g. bullets or
> university logo (in pdf)) do not appear.
>
> Is there any way I can improve this behavoir?
> Does "Beamer" use some PdfTeX specials that XeTeX can't handle?

Some suggestions (with no guarantee, I'm not using the beamer class
myself):

- Make a copy of beamer.cls, put it inside
~/Library/texmf/tex/xetex/beamer, and add inside it, after:

	\DeclareOptionBeamer{pdftex}{}% Used by hyperref
	\DeclareOptionBeamer{nativepdf}{}% Used by hyperref
	\DeclareOptionBeamer{pdfmark}{}% Used by hyperref
	\DeclareOptionBeamer{dvips}{}% Used by hyperref
	\DeclareOptionBeamer{dviwindo}{}% Used by hyperref
	\DeclareOptionBeamer{dvipsone}{}% Used by hyperref
	\DeclareOptionBeamer{vtex}{}% Used by hyperref
	\DeclareOptionBeamer{ps2pdf}{}% Used by hyperref

the line

	\DeclareOptionBeamer{dvipdfm}{}

- Then call beamer with the [dvipdfm] option, to make sure the hyperref
package is called with the proper option for XeTeX (see the version
history notes for XeTeX 0.87).

- You should make sure the graphics and color packages are also called
with the proper option, which is [xetex]. Some packages rely on the
selection of this option to be determined automatically, but
unfortunately they only know about [dvips] and [pdftex]. This may not
be sufficient, but you may try creating inside
~/Library/texmf/tex/xetex/config two files graphics.cfg containing
each:

	\ExecuteOptions{xetex}

Again, that's absolutely untested.

Bruno Voisin