[XeTeX] OpenType: script & language

Yves Codet ycodet at club-internet.fr
Mon Feb 28 16:49:23 CET 2005

Le 28 févr. 05, à 15:42, Will Robertson a écrit :

Hello.

> This would result in being able to say
> \fontspec[Script=Mongolian,Language=Zulu]{Code2000}, whatever that
> would happen to mean.

The above example is perhaps unlikely, but you could have, say:

	\fontspec[Script=Tibetan,Language=Tibetan]{Code2000}

or:

	\fontspec[Script=Tibetan,Language=Sanskrit]{Code2000}

The same script can be used more or less differently according to the
underlying language.

> I haven't actually worked out the difference between the two; surely
> the fact that you're using characters from a certain unicode range
> would mean that you're using a script of whichever sort...

I'm not sure I understand where your doubt is, but if those tags select
a set of features for a certain language (which is the case, I hope)
then it makes sense to declare both script and language.

Best wishes (and good luck with Emacs),

Yves

P.S. Is Carbon Emacs used in Terminal? I never was able to display or
type Unicode properly in Terminal.