[XeTeX] ColorSync problem

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Feb 28 00:40:47 CET 2005

On 27 Feb 2005, at 11:27 pm, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> I've just been faced with this strange situation: typesetting a
> document in XeLaTeX with TeXShop, the console log end up with:
>
> (./ENS-2005-02-27.aux)Error creating cg colorspace from csync profile )
> Output written on ENS-2005-02-27.pdf (1 page).

Which is apparently a lie....

> Transcript written on ENS-2005-02-27.log.
>
> But, oddly, no .pdf file has been created! Looking in Console at
> system.log, here's the corresponding output:
>
> Feb 28 00:07:00 localhost xdv2pdf: GraphicsImportGetColorSyncProfile
> was called for an image that has a ColorSync profile, but the base
> graphics importer will perform ColorSync matching, so a generic
> profile is being returned to avoid incorrect matching.  To opt out of
> automatic ColorSync matching and access actual embedded profiles, set
> the kGraphicsImporterDontUseColorMatching flag.

....which occurs because xetex thinks it finished the job successfully;
it doesn't realize that xdv2pdf gave up.

> The document that I was typesetting is a letter, containing a JPEG
> logo plus some text set in color using the color.sty package.
>
> Can something be done to avoid this problem, or is it, at this stage,
> a XeTeX bug?

Well, it can be avoided if you can remove the ColorSync profile from
the JPEG, perhaps by opening it and re-saving it with a graphics app
that gives you control of such things. But yes, it's really a XeTeX
bug, it should handle things differently.

Would you be able to send me the relevant JPEG for testing, or is it
something internal/proprietary? I've heard of this problem a couple of
times, but it would be helpful to have some specific examples on hand.

Thanks,