[XeTeX] XeTeX 0.9 and utf8accents.sty

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Fri Feb 25 16:30:45 CET 2005

Hi Bruno,

On 26/02/2005, at 1:22 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 25 févr. 05, à 13:08, Jonathan Kew a écrit :
>
>> Could you send me a sample file that demonstrates this problem? It's
>> possible that it's new a XeTeX bug, but it didn't happen on a XeLaTeX
>> paper (using fontspec and utf8accents) that I just ran....
>
> Jonathan, Ross,
>
> It turns out the problem was caused by writing \~{} at any place
> inside the document. Using \textasciitilde instead makes the problem
> disappear, and replacing "\~{} " by "\~\ " make it disappear as well.
> I'm puzzled whether this problem has been introduced with XeTeX 0.9,
> or was there unnoticed before. My impression is this is caused by the
> way utf8accents.sty deals with gobbled spaces.

It's definitely a bug in  utf8accents.sty  .
The accented empty {} just doesn't work -- for any accent.
I've tracked this and have a fix.

However, I might as well fix the other things too,
according to the discuss last week, or whenever it was.

That is, ...

  ... I can make \~{} give the accent character  Ux0C2D
  (as \textasciitilde  gives now )
and make  \textasciitilde  give the full-size tilde  Ux00E7 .

This way both tilde characters are accessible.
Do you agree that this is the best approach ?

Jonathan, and others --- opinions please.

Cheers

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114