Re: [XeTeX] o/ or O/ goes to ø or Ø (oslash or Oslash)

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Feb 25 14:28:13 CET 2005

On 25 Feb 2005, at 1:01 pm, Stephen Moye wrote:

> Font: Hoefler Text
> Format: xetex (v. 0.9)
>
> If I type a o/ or O/ (or for that matter o / or O / -- with spaces
> between the characters) I get ø and Ø. Is this something to do with
> XeTeX or is there yet another AAT feature turned on that I'm unaware
> of?

I've seen this before, and IIRC it seems to be a ligature in the
Hoefler AAT tables that for some reason can't be turned off. I'd
consider it an Apple font bug. (If you have the Developer Tools
installed, you can run WorldText and see the same thing happen there.)

You should be able to work around it by putting something before the
slash that will break up the text run; e.g., a kern. So "o\kern0pt/"
should render as "o/" without forming the ligature.