[XeTeX] Basic questions about CJK (Unicode) and xelatex

Roger Hart rhart at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Feb 23 02:45:52 CET 2005

After looking at the sample files I was very impressed -- indeed amazed
-- by XeTeX's capabilities, and the astonishing ease with which fonts
are implemented.

Because of this, and the persistent problems that I have encountered
with pdflatex processing Chinese and Japanese, I spent most of the day
trying to set up CJK to run under xelatex, without much success.  I
read through previous postings on this group, and was left with the
impression some combination of the packages and commands listed below
might work. But nothing worked properly.

Is there an easy way to get CJK to work under xelatex? Could someone
send me an example file with the preamble, packages, and commands
necessary to get CJK to work?  I use CJK with TeXShop and pdflatex in
OSX, which was quite difficult to set up.  I would be very impressed
indeed if it were as easy to get CJK to run under xelatex as it is
under xetex!

Thanks very much,

Roger

Various combinations I (quite blindly) tried, with various
modifications:

\usepackage{fontspec}
\fontspec{Bitstream Cyberbit}

or

\DeclareFontFamily{U}{cyberbit}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{cyberbit}{}{}%
      {<-> "Bitstream\space Cyberbit"}{}

or

\DeclareFontFamily{U}{cyberbit}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{cyberbit}{m}{n}%
      {<-> "Bitstream\space Cyberbit"}{}

or

\usepackage[encapsulated]{CJK}
\usepackage{ucs}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}

with

\renewcommand{\encodingdefault}{U}
\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{cyberbit}

or

\DeclareTextFontCommand{\cntext}{\fontencoding{U}\fontfamily{cyberbit}\s
electfont}

or

\newcommand{\Chinese}[1]{\begin{CJK}{UTF8}{cyberbit}#1\end{CJK}}

Roger Hart
Assistant Professor, Departments of History and Asian Studies
University of Texas at Austin

office: Room 405, Garrison Hall
office phone: 512-475-7258
department fax: 512-475-7222