[XeTeX] xetex (plain tex) and graphicx

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sat Feb 19 23:21:59 CET 2005

Le 19 févr. 05, à 22:46, Éric DÉTREZ a écrit :

> The invisible directory is usr.
> The secret file is, in this case,
> /usr/local/teTex/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/graphics/graphics.cfg
> Maybe you don't find it secret but I didn't succeed to read any
> information about all those files.
> All this seems esoteric to me.
> More : these files are not editable in the finder, they seem protected.

For one good reason: you should in no case change these files: they
(including your changes) will be overwritten every time your TeX
installation is updated. You should make a copy of the file to be
changed inside either the directory

	/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/latex/graphics/

in which case the changes will be effective for all users of your Mac,
or inside

	~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/graphics/

in which case the changes will be effective for you only, and then
change the copied file as required (and run texhash in case you chose
the first location). The directory /Library/teTeX/ is a shortcut
allowing you to access easily (i.e. without using Cmd-Shift-G in the
Finder) the normally hidden directory /usr/local/teTeX/.

In any case I would advise using one more level in your directory
structure, namely texmf/tex/xetex/plain/graphics/, so that your changes
affect only XeTeX, not pdfTeX or TeX + dvips + GhostScript. Moreover,
I'm surprised a change inside texmf/tex/latex/graphics/ affects a
document compiled in plain TeX with XeTeX. According to the setting in
texmf.cnf:

	TEXINPUTS.xetex   =	.;$TEXMF/{xetex,tex}/{xetex,plain,generic,}//

this directory is not searched when compiling in plain TeX with XeTeX:

	texmf/tex/xetex/
	texmf/tex/plain/
	texmf/tex/generic/

are searched, but not

	texmf/tex/latex/

As to the question of where to find information about all those files,
there are several possible sources of such information:

- At the TeX on Mac OS X page <http://www.rna.nl/tex.html>, see the
question " Help! TeX cannot find my file! / Where should I install any
extra files?" in the TNH section.

- At the TeXShop web site, see the page TeXLive-teTeX
<http://www.uoregon.edu/~koch/texshop/texlive-tetex.html>.

- On your disk, if you installed with i-Installer, see:

	/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/README.howtexfindsfiles.txt
	/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/README.texmf.gwtex.txt

which you can access as:

	/Library/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/README.howtexfindsfiles.txt
	/Library/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/README.texmf.gwtex.txt

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin