Tabbing in RtoL text (was Re: [XeTeX] Right-indents with Arabic in xelatex)

Frederick Hoyt fmhoyt at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Feb 7 19:04:29 CET 2005

Thank you for the suggestion regarding hanging indents.

Could anyone then suggest a solution for using tab spaces with a
\beginR environment, so that the tabs proceed to from the left margin
rightwards. I tried using the \tabbing environment, but it places the
tabs (and associated text at the left margin.

The project in question involves typsetting an Arabic text in playbook
format:

	Mary 	:	Blah blah blah.
	John		:	Grumble grumble grumble.

The text portion requires hanging indentation (hence my previous
inquiry), and then the spacing between the character identifiers, the
colon, and the text needs to be uniform (hence the tabbing).

Thanks again for all the help,

Fred Hoyt

On Feb 6, 2005, at 3:07 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> A basic fragment of TeX code that would give you right-to-left
> paragraphs with hanging indents would be:
>
> 	\everypar={\setbox0=\lastbox \beginR \hangindent-\parindent
> \hangafter1 }
>
> (or give a different value for \hangindent, if \parindent isn't what
> you want; but make it negative, to apply at the right instead of the
> left). Maybe some of the LaTeX folks here can suggest how this would
> be integrated properly with LaTeX environments and other parameters.
> But it may be enough to get you started, at least.

Frederick M. Hoyt
www.livejournal.com/users/frederickhoyt