[XeTeX] support for variation & multiple master fonts

Suki Venkat, [TnQ] skvenkat at tnq.co.in
Wed Dec 21 15:54:56 CET 2005

Wed, 21 Dec 2005 12:40:39 Will Robertson wrote:
> Yep; as inelegant a solution as it is to have the multitude of
> different font files, this is what they're doing. The instances
> themselves are actually developed internally at Adobe using MM fonts,
> if that makes any sense.

You can resell them now as OpenType fonts; that makes monetary sense!
You can copy your own glyphs into newer format, nobody can question
that.

Other than historical legacy is there anything that can't be done with
OpenType that can be done with MM! It is possible to associate multiple
glyphs to same unicode point and also many unicode points to one glyphs.
If we manage to get hold of glyph dimensions (some how), then is that
enough to do everything...
Anyway, I am very happy with whatever Jonathan has achieved already...
It saves me from having to struggle with Omega/Lambda font configuration
files. Fortunately, I have a Mac that I can telnet and get the work done
from Linux...
I was so happy to see the OpenType Indic fonts into PDF and it will also
hopefully help in development of some free OpenType Indic fonts and even
Chinese fonts, that JK so nicely demonstrated!

Happy Holidays to you all!

Suki