[XeTeX] fontspec in TUGboat

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sun Dec 18 13:46:47 CET 2005

On 18 Dec 2005, at 3:33 am, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> How do you get the reversed E in Xe(La)TeX using pdflatex?

I don't have an exact incantation handy, but you should be able to do
it with \reflectbox. This works provided you don't need the name in
slanted/italic type; if you need that, then try a rotated E instead,
though how good this looks is somewhat typeface-dependent. Happily,
in Computer Modern, the top and bottom of the E are similar enough
that you can get away with it.

Oh for the day when we can rely on Ǝ, and many other "interesting"
Unicode characters, being widely available! The XeTeX article
recently published in TB 26.2 uses a similar trick with a reflected
E, as there's no Ǝ in the Adobe Garamond font I used.