[XeTeX] The ^^^^ convention

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Dec 12 22:30:16 CET 2005

On 12 Dec 2005, at 7:19 pm, Stephen Moye wrote:

> Some time ago I had a question about the ^^^^ convention of getting
> certain characters. I tried to search the XeTeX archive for '^^^^'
> but apparently the search engine does not recognize those as
> searchable characters. I simply need to have my memory refreshed
> about how the ^^^^ naming convention works -- or, how to search for
> those characters.

^^^^ followed by 4 (lowercase) hex digits represents a single
codepoint in the range U+0000..U+FFFF. This is a conversion that
XeTeX does during the text input process, before things like macro
expansion; the entire 8-character sequence is replaced by the single
code it represents, and then processed just as if that code had been
present in the input.

Does that help? Not really sure what kind of information you're after...