[XeTeX] table* environment does not respect font color

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Mon Dec 12 05:55:38 CET 2005

On 12/12/2005, at 3:24 , Jose Figueroa-O'Farrill wrote:

> I am experiencing something strange.  I have a document with a number
> of fonts defined using, e.g.,
>
> \newfontinstance\romajifont[Color=AA0000]{Hoefler Text}
>
> This font appear in red colour, as one would expect, everywhere in
> the document _except  inside a table*, where it appears in black,
> which is not even the default:

There's many things here I don't understand. I'm sure Jonathan's
right that the specials in the float (it doesn't have to be table*,
it can be table or figure or figure*...any type of float) are
overriding the font colour, although I'm very surprised that they do
so over the top of a newly loaded font -- is this a bug?

Anyway, the problem is caused by the color package -- do you need it,
if you're setting document fonts with fontspec? If you do need it,
then the only solution it seems is to use color.sty commands for
setting the font colours, which don't have "global" counterparts like
\rmdefault anyway. It's all a little bit old-fashioned, really. I'll
bet ConTeXt does things better...

Will