[XeTeX] XeTeX 0.99 released

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Wed Dec 7 02:19:01 CET 2005

Hi Adam,

On 07/12/2005, at 12:00 PM, Adam Twardoch wrote:

> Ross Moore wrote:
>> This concept of "uninstalled fonts" has been mentioned before.
>> I didn't really understand what was meant then, and still do not.
>> Is it that you prepare a document to use fonts that you do not
>> have installed on your local machine, so that the PDF will be
>> readable correctly on another machine that *does* have the fonts ?
> The machine can have the fonts but they don't need to be installed.
>
> I have approx. 100,000 fonts on my computer (about 5 GB) but only
> 300-400 of them are installed, so that normal applications can use
> them. Having more than 1000 fonts installed at the same time
> usually impedes system performance. A whole industry of font
> management applications has appeared, one of the recent -- and free
> -- is the Linotype FontExplorer X for Mac OS X: http://
> www.fontexplorer.net/ You can use any such application to easily
> install and uninstall fonts -- the font files always remain on your
> hard drive but the installation registers the font in a system list.

OK; this makes good sense.

So XeTeX ...
   (a)  needs to know where to find uninstalled fonts;
   (b)  could check for and temporarily install any needed fonts;
   (c)  do what it does now, when processing the document
        to build the PDF;
   (d)  remove the temporary fonts, once  xdv2pdf  is done.

I dunno what step (b) would entail, but surely the rest
is easy.  :-)

Thanks for the explanation.

Cheers,

	Ross