[XeTeX] XeTeX 0.99 released

Stephen Moye stephenmoye at mac.com
Wed Dec 7 02:03:58 CET 2005

On Dec 6, 2005, at 7:45 PM, Ross Moore wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
> On 07/12/2005, at 11:27 AM, Stephen Moye wrote:
>
>> Sounds interesting, but nowhere near as interesting as enabling
>> XeTeX to use uninstalled fonts... hint, hint... {8>}
>
> This concept of "uninstalled fonts" has been mentioned before.
> I didn't really understand what was meant then, and still do not.
>
> Is it that you prepare a document to use fonts that you do not
> have installed on your local machine, so that the PDF will be
> readable correctly on another machine that *does* have the fonts ?
>
> That is, it would be like TeX using the .tfm file to typeset,
> even when the glyphs themselves are not available.
> Thus you need width and ligature tables for the missing fonts.
>

> Would a PDF viewer be expected to provide a rendering using
> "default" fonts, when lacking the "real" font, as Adobe Reader
> can do ?
>

> Just asking,
>
> 	Ross

I understood it to mean that you could reference fonts that were not
in the canonical locations. You would do this, I presume, by means of
a path specification, something like:

\font\myfont="/MyFontCol/foofonts/Foo Roman" at 12 pt \myfont

This would be very useful for those occasions that installing the
fonts -- either because they are not used very often or because there
are a lot of fonts used -- would be impractical.

Is this anywhere near the mark?

SGM