[XeTeX] XeTeX+Tiger+OpenType bug

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Aug 11 12:36:14 CEST 2005

Le 11 août 05 à 10:52, Will Robertson a écrit :

> seem to recall reporting this bug earlier, but I can't find the
> email. So maybe I came across the problem but thought it was my
> fault at the time. Now I'm sure that's not the case :)
>
> Here is the bug:
>
> \font\1="Minion Pro"\1 Regular
> \font\1="Minion Pro/I"\1 Italic?
> \bye
>
> Replace the OpenType font with an Apple AAT font, and we get the
> expected output. As I recall, this surfaced once Mac OS X 10.4 was
> released.

This is a different thing, but I've just been faced today with the
problem reported earlier on 20 May ([XeTeX] Font sizes in footnotes,
and dashes), and which apparently is still there:

Attempting to use \fontspec or \newfontinstance with the Apple
Symbols font, I'm getting:

> ! Font \zf at fonttwo=Apple Symbols/I at 10.0pt not loadable: ATSUI
> font not found
> .
> \ifEqFonts ...fi \font \zf at fonttwo = "#2" at 10pt
>                                                   \edef \@tempb
> {\fontname \...

whereas I wasn't requesting Apple Symbols in italic or bold shape at
all. It seems \fontspec and \newfontinstance supppose any font to
have bold, italic and bold italic versions, and that XeTeX doesn't
fail gracefully to load them.

Thus it seems I'm stuck for now with using:

     \DeclareFontFamily{U}{applsym}{}
     \DeclareFontShape{U}{applsym}{m}{n}{<-> "Apple\space Symbols"}{}
     \DeclareTextFontCommand{\applesymbol}
       {\normalfont\fontencoding{U}\fontfamily{applsym}\selectfont}

instead of:

     \newfontinstance{\applesymbol}{Apple Symbols}

No need to hurry to fix this in any case: I was just doing a quick
test this morning, as a small break from a very boring job I'm
otherwise doing (in Pages); I won't be using XeTeX again for one to
three weeks.

Bruno Voisin