[XeTeX] pfaedit

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Mon Aug 8 02:27:53 CEST 2005

Hello,

Quite some time ago its name was changed to fontforge so if i-
Installer is still calling pfaedit by that name then there's a chance
you'll have much more success grabbing it from
fontforge.sourceforge.net (I think that's the address). But try i-
Installer first.

Once you've installed fontforge, you'll then need something like the
following in a file called .bash_profile in your home directory,
which you'll need to create with pico or emacs or vi, etc., which
contains something like the following:

export DISPLAY=:0
export PATH=${PATH}:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:
$HOME/bin

(These instructions assume that when you type "echo $SHELL" in
Terminal, you get "/bin/bash". If not, you can tell Terminal to use
bash in its preferences.)

You'll also have had to install X11.app from Apple, which may have
taken place when you installed Mac OS X. If you don't have it in /
Applications/Utilities/, I believe you can install it from somewhere
in apple.com.

Finally, you should then be able to open the X11 application, then go
back to Terminal.app and type "fontforge" and be all good. Fingers
crossed!

(All from memory, so I hope you follow all that.)

Also,
Peter wrote:

> The other personal method is to edit or create first, if it doesn't
> exist yet, the file ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist. This file is a
> leftover from NEXTSTEP and Apple has one or two technical notes on
> this file.

Gerben Weirda has specifically and emphatically requested that this
file NEVER BE USED to change a user's $PATH, because of terrible
conflicts that can then occur with i-Installer that can take him
significant amounts of time to debug. As you must not have heard...

Will