[XeTeX] Sanskrit hyphenation

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Apr 5 10:09:03 CEST 2005

On 5 Apr 2005, at 7:22 am, Yves Codet wrote:

> Le 4 avr. 05, à 11:41, Jonathan Kew a écrit :
>>
>> If you have an AAT Malayalam font, that ought to work in editors that
>> use the AAT/Cocoa text system, AFAIK. The likeliest place to find one
>> is probably <http://www.xenotypetech.com/>, as Apple doesn't seem to
>> ship one.
>
> I've just received XenoType Malayalam and there's stil no reordring in
> TextEdit or TeXShop,

That seems surprising; I'd have expected it to work. Have you asked
XenoType about this?

What about in WorldText (installed along with the dev tools, in
/Developer/Applications/Utilities/Built Examples) -- how does it behave
there?

>  but I can do like this until I try the other possibilities you and
> Maurice suggested.
>
> Another little difficulty. If I run AAT-info.tex I get:
>
> <pastedGraphic1.pdf>
>
> Does it mean that all available features are selected by default? I've
> tried Fonspec options [Ligatures=Vertical Ligature, Horizontal
> Ligature] but I got error messages about unknown options.

The option names used in fontspec are not directly the same as the
native AAT names from the font (which can vary from one font to
another, for exactly the same option).

You'd need to use the \newfontfeature command to define a fontspec
feature name and the corresponding "feature string" to use with this
font; something like
	\newfontfeature{RRLigHoriz}{RR Ligature=Horizontal Ligature}
(from memory; check the fontspec docs), then you can use the name
RRLigHoriz to enable that option.

It looks as though all the basic features for the script are enabled by
default anyway, and can't be individually controlled. The only option
you have is whether to use a vertical or horizontal form for an RR
ligature (whatever that is--I don't read Malayalam).