[XeTeX] Sanskrit hyphenation

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Apr 1 20:51:53 CEST 2005

On 1 Apr 2005, at 7:41 pm, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Jonathan Kew wrote:
>
>> Aha, I've got it! The chief issue is that when you set \lccode values
>> in the sanhyph.tex file, you need to prefix the assignments with
>> \global. This is because the whole file is read within a group, so
>> without \global, the \lccode changes are lost after loading the
>> patterns. And this leads to the words being broken into separate runs
>> during hyphenation, and this in turn leads to the dotted circles
>> (where a run has an initial combining mark), etc.
>
> Isn't xetex also etex? Inthat case the lccodes are stored with the
> language.

XeTeX is built on top of e-TeX, so this may be true. I don't recall
seeing this mentioned in the e-TeX documentation I've looked at, but
it's been a long time since then.

Using \global\lccode... made things work in my experiments with
sanhyph.tex just now; the LaTeX2e experts may know better ways to
arrange things.