[XeTeX] Sanskrit hyphenation

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Apr 1 11:48:55 CEST 2005

On 31 Mar 2005, at 6:19 pm, Yves Codet wrote:

> Le 31 mars 05, à 19:03, Jonathan Kew a écrit :
>
>> On 31 Mar 2005, at 6:00 pm, Yves Codet wrote:
>>
>>> An interesting clue: the small circles seem to occur only on lines
>>> where there should a hyphenation, and they mark (some) places where
>>> hyphenation is prohibited.
>>>
>>> I hope this will help :-)
>>>

>> It's intriguing!
>>
>> I remember seeing something like this a while back, but right now it
>> doesn't seem to be happening for me in a quick test. Could you send
>> me your .tex document to experiment with?
>
> With pleasure. Sorry if it's a little messy. The source is in XML and
> my skills in XSL are vey limited.

Thanks. I think we must be looking at a XeTeX bug here, but I'm not yet
sure exactly what is causing it. If I load the Sanskrit patterns with
the plain-based XeTeX format, and try some of your text, it seems to
hyphenate fine; but in XeLaTeX something breaks.

The problem occurs whether or not you include \language=\sanskrit in
your document, which makes me think that the issue may be somehow
related to loading the patterns (and corrupting something), not to the
actual hyphenation process. The current file doesn't seem to fit the
pattern of how other languages are loaded in LaTeX (the hyphenation
files themselves don't do \newlanguage, for example; that must be
handled elsewhere); maybe someone who knows more about LaTeX/Babel/etc
can look at that stuff.

However, even if there are issues with the LaTeX language name/code
setup, etc., that still doesn't really explain the bad output; I do
think there's a XeTeX bug here, but I'm not going to be able to dig in
to the code for a few days--deadlines are looming! :(