[XeTeX] %&-parsing problem?

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Sep 24 17:45:49 CEST 2004

On 24 Sep 2004, at 4:37 pm, Stephen Moye wrote:

> If I have this in a TeX file:
>
> %&xetex

...etc...
> I think this was working before, and it continues to work if I use
> %&latex for example.

If you're using the new TeXShop functionality, that was
	%&program=xetex
which is interpreted by the TeXShop front end, to decide which "engine"
to run.

The traditional form
	%&latex
is processed by the *engine*, to decide which format file to load; but
it can't select between the pdfTeX and xetex engines.

Note that the TeXShop %&program= extension has proved controversial,
and I wouldn't be surprised if the convention is changed in a
subsequent version.